It gives us great pleasure to welcome the participants of the “9th International Symposium on Eastern Mediterranean Geology (ISEMG 2018)”.
The Eastern Mediterranean Symposium has been held periodically at venues across Europe and Asia; in Adana (Turkey-1992), Jerusalem (Israel-1995), Nicosia (Cyprus-1998), Isparta (Turkey-2001), Thessaloniki (Greece-2004), Amman (Jordan-2007), Adana (Turkey-2010), and Mugla (Turkey-2014). Over the years; this symposium series has brought together geoscientists from all over the world covering all disciplines. We are very happy to organize “9th International Symposium on Eastern Mediterranean Geology” in Antalya / Turkey, on 07th-11th May 2018. The main objective of “9th ISEMG 2018” is to provide a platform for researchers, academicians, practitioners, as well as industrial professionals from all over the world to present their research results and development activities in the fields of Earth Sciences. Sessions on a large diversity of topics in Earth Sciences and field trips to spectacular geological sites have been organized.
The Symposium covered the entire spectrum of the Earth Sciences and a nonexclusive list of topics to be covered includes:
- General Geology: Neotectonics, Paleontology, Marine Geology, Oceanography
- Tectonic Development of Eastern Mediterranean
- Tectonic Development of Anatolia
- Physical Geography, Quaternary Geology, Sedimentology, Remote Sensing
- Geophysics: General Geophysics, Marine Geophysics
- Seismology, Structural Geology, Tectonics, Stratigraphy, Speleology
- Engineering and Environmental Geology: Engineering Geology, Geological Risks
- Hydrogeology, Natural Hazards, Rock Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Urban Geology
- Mineralogy and Petrography: Geochemistry, Geochronology, Geo-archaeology
- Industrial Rocks and Minerals, Mineralogy, Mineral Exploration, Ore Deposits
- Energy Resources: Geothermal Energy, Renewable Energy
- Applications in different Engineering fields: Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, etc.
- Other topics: Geology in engineering applications, Mathematical modelling of geological applications, Computer-based modelling, Medical geology, Occupational health and safety, etc.
Antalya, where the symposium was held, is a city on the Mediterranean coast of southwestern Turkey. It is Turkey’s biggest international sea resort, located on the Turkish Riviera. This region is one of the most beautiful places in the country, with favorable climate during the year, stunning natural beauty and a wealth of history. The Taurus Mountains of southern Anatolia runs parallel to the Mediterranean in east-west direction, resulting in the formation of narrow coastal plains surrounded by mountains on three sides and the sea on the fourth. Some parts of the coast feature mountains plunging sharply into the sea, forming small natural bays and peninsulas. Antalya is situated on one such plain where the mountains recede from the shore, consisting of two flat areas formed of travertine rock.
From different countries, four keynote speakers (Prof. Dr. Alastair H.F. ROBERTSON, Prof. Dr. Tuncer B. EDIL, Prof. Dr. Toni NIKOLIC, Prof. Dr. Osman PARLAK) who are very valuable scientists were invited. They had very successful presentations with very interesting subjects.
We have had a number of excellent 350 contributions from 23 countries (Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Britain, Cameroon, China, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Iranian, Iraq, Mali, Morocco, Netherland, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Swedish, Tunisian, USA) including Turkey. Many of them presented successfully the four days symposium as four parallel sessions. The Scientific Committee of the Symposium have chosen 3 Oral and 3 Poster Presentations for such fruitful contributions.
These presentations are listed at below:
Three oral presentations;
1. EMMANUEL DAANOBA SUNKARI
“EVOLUTION OF THE PRECAMBRIAN BASEMENT ROCKS OF THE BENN-NIGERIAN SHIELD IN THE CONTEXT OF THE PAN-AFRICAN AND BRASILIANO BELTS”
2. NURGUL BALCI
“BIOTIC AND ABIOTIC IMPRINTS ON STROMATOLITIES OF LAKE SALDA SW TURKEY: INSIGHTS FROM MORPHOLOGY”
3. EL HMIDI FATIMA
“CONTRIBUTION OF MAGNETIC AIRBORNE DATA TO A MINING EXPLORATION (CASE OF IMITER INLIER, MOROCCO)”
Three poster presentations;
1. TAMER RIZAOGLU, UTKU BAGCI, OSMAN PARLAK
“PETROGENESIS OF THE OPHIOLITIC AND VOLCANIC ROCKS FROM THE YARPUZ-KAYPAK (OSMANIYE) REGION SE TURKEY”
2.a TAIR SABRINA, ZAOURAR NAIMA, YAHIAT YASMINA
“THE EFFECTS OF SEASONAL AND DIURNAL VARIATIONS IN THE EARTH MAGNETIC DIPOLE ORIENTATION ON SOLAR WIND-IONOSPHERIC PLASMA PARAMETERS”
2.b AMEZZA THIZIRI, YAHIAT YASMINA, HEKIMI ILYES, MEDDAH NASIM, HAMOUDI MOHAMED
“INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL GEOMAGNETIC FIELDS ANALYSIS USING COMPREHENSIVE MODELS”
3. SIMGE VAROL, AYSEN DAVRAZ, FATMA AKSEVER, SEHNAZ SENER, ERHAN SENER, BULENT KIRKAN, AHMET TOKGOZLU
“DETERMINATION OF THE ORIGIN AND RECHARGE PROCESS WITH THE STABLE ISOTOPES OF WATER RESOURCES IN SALDA LAKE WETLAND BASIN (BURDUR TURKEY)”
A wonderful field excursion was arranged on the last day of the symposium. It was in Tekirova region and about ophiolitic rocks. 34 participants accompanied on this productive trip and had very enjoyable time.
We have agreed to publish the “selected papers” in 3 following journals as “special issue or regular issue”.
1. The first one is “Annales Societatis Geologorum Poloniae” (http://www.asgp.pl/) which is indexed and abstracted in Science Citation Index-Expanded.
2. The second one is “Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration” (https://dergi.mta.gov.tr/). Foreign edition of Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration is indexed and abstracted in Thompson Reuters Master Journal List, Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI), Georef, Geological Abstracts, Mineralogical Abstracts, DOAJ and Scopus database, Turkish edition is indexed and abstracted in ULAKBIM database.
3. The third one is “Geotechnical and Geological Engineering” (https://link.springer.com/journal/10706) which is indexed and abstracted in Emerging Sources Citation Index.
Finally, I would like to thank all the participants for attending, presenting well prepared presentations, and for contributing in a meaningful way to discussion and to advancement of the earth sciences in the Eastern Mediterranean region.
Prof. Dr. M. Gurhan YALCIN
Head of the ISEMG 2018